AIDA SCHOOL EDITION
For Students in Grades 8 – 12
Directed by Matt Mayne
Music Direction by Jim Schmitt
Choreographed by Laura Marron
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Tuesday, March 8, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
Wednesday, March 9, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
For an audition appointment, please review conflict calendar and instructions below, then email firstname.lastname@example.org with name, age, grade, phone number, preferred date, and which hour you are most available 6pm – 7pm or 7pm – 8pm. Or Call 585-935-7173 and leave a message. You will receive an email/call with your appointment time.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Friday, March 11, 6:00 – 8:00pm
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 8 – 12 — serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience. Some parts may be double cast to meet directors’ vision or to accommodate cast conflicts (prom, school chorus concert, etc.). We must know conflicts to make this work. PLEASE BE HONEST when completing your Conflict Calendar AIDA.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online —www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com, for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
• 32 bars from two contrasting songs (one upbeat and one ballad from contemporary musical theater) that showcase your vocal range and demonstrate your ability to show character through song. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Aida.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
Dates vary — see Conflict Calendar AIDA (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
• May 13 at 7:30pm
• May 14 at 7:30pm
• May 15 at 2:00pm
• May 20 at 7:30pm
• May 21 at 2:00pm
• May 21 at 7:30pm
• $225 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing,
movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. Includes a costuming fee. 10% discount for siblings. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance available.
• $50 Program Ad from a favorite business, restaurant, studio, etc. or Buy-out $50.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
Adapted from the four-time Tony Award-winning hit, Elton John and Tim Rice’s "Aida School Edition" is an epic tale of love, loyalty and betrayal chronicling the love triangle between Aida, a Nubian princess stolen from her country, Amneris, an Egyptian princess, and Radames, the soldier they both love.
An enslaved Nubian princess, Aida, finds her heart entangled with Radames, an Egyptian soldier who is betrothed to the Pharaoh’s daughter, Amneris. As their forbidden love blossoms, Aida is forced to weigh her heart against the responsibility she faces as leader of her people. Aida and Radames’s love for one another becomes a shining example of true devotion that ultimately transcends the vast cultural differences between their warring nations, heralding a time of unprecedented peace and prosperity.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street
Third Floor, Auditorium Center
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email auditions@MJTStages.com
Hope to see you at the audition!