FOOTLOOSE THE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Terry Fyke
Choreographed by Cheryl Johnson
Music Direction by Jim Schmitt
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Monday, November 14, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Wednesday, November 16, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
For an audition appointment, please fill out and submit Audition Form.
*For your convenience, the rehearsal schedule has been provided in calendar form. Please review.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Thursday, November 17, 6:00 - 8:00PM
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience.
• 32 bars from two contrasting songs (one upbeat, one ballad) that showcase your vocal range and demonstrate your ability to show character through song. Be prepared to sing each entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Footloose the Musical.
• How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition songs in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Conflict Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
• January 27 at 7:30PM
• January 28 at 7:30PM
• January 29 at 2:00PM
• February 3 at 7:30PM
• February 4 at 7:30PM
• February 5 at 2:00PM
• $225 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. Includes a costuming fee. 10% discount for siblings. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance available.
• $50 Program Ad from a favorite business, restaurant, studio, etc. or Buy-out $50.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
One of the most explosive movie musicals in recent memory bursts onto the live stage with exhilarating results. When Ren and his mother move from Chicago to a small faming town, Ren is prepared for the inevitable adjustment period at his new high school. What he isn't’ prepared for are the rigorous local edicts, including a ban on dancing instituted by the local preacher, determined to exercise the control over the town’s youth that he cannot command in his own home. When the reverend’s rebellious daughter sets her sights on Ren, her roughneck boyfriend tries to sabotage Ren’s reputation, with many of the locals eager to believe the worst about the new kid. The heartfelt story that emerges is of a father longing for the son he lost and of a young man aching for the father who walked out on him. To the rockin’ rythm of its Oscar and Tony nominated top 40 score (the soundtrack album reached number one on the Billboard charts and has sold over 15 million copies!) and augmented with dynamic new songs for the stage musical, FOOTLOOSE celebrates the wisdom of listening to young people, guiding them with a warm heart and an open mind.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
STAGES 875 E. Main Street
Third Floor, Auditorium Center
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email
Hope to see you at the audition!