MATILDA THE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Greg Maddock
Choreographed by Laura Marron
Music Direction by Kayla Osika
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Wednesday, August 14, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Thursday, August 15, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
For an audition appointment, please fill out and submit Audition Registration Form. You will be contacted by email/phone with your appointment date and time.
*For your convenience, the rehearsal schedule has been provided in calendar form Commitment Calendar. Please review.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Friday, August 16, 6:00 - 8:00PM
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience.
• 32 bars from two contrasting musical theatre songs (one upbeat, one ballad). Pick songs you love to sing, be yourself, and focus on storytelling. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Matilda the Musical.
• How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Commitment Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
• October 11 at 7:30PM
• October 12 at 7:30PM
• October 13 at 2:00PM
• October 18 at 7:30PM
• October 19 at 7:30PM
• October 20 at 2:00PM
• $321 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. Includes a costuming fee. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance available.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
The story of an extraordinary girl who, armed with a vivid imagination and a sharp mind, dares to take a stand and change her own destiny.
Inspired by the twisted genius of Roald Dahl, the Tony Award-winning Roald Dahl's Matilda The Musical is the captivating masterpiece from the Royal Shakespeare Company that revels in the anarchy of childhood, the power of imagination and the inspiring story of a girl who dreams of a better life. With book by Dennis Kelly and original songs by Tim Minchin, Matilda has won 47 international awards and continues to thrill sold-out audiences of all ages around the world.
Matilda is a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers. She's unloved by her cruel parents but impresses her schoolteacher, the highly loveable Miss Honey. Over the course of her first term at school, Matilda and Miss Honey have a profound effect on each other's lives, as Miss Honey begins not only to recognize but also appreciate Matilda's extraordinary personality. Matilda's school life isn't completely smooth sailing, however – the school's mean headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, hates children and just loves thinking up new punishments for those who don't abide by her rules. But Matilda has courage and cleverness in equal amounts, and could be the school pupils' saving grace!
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street
Auditorium Center, Third Floor
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email Carolyn@MJTStages.com
Hope to see you at the audition!