NEWSIES THE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Greg Maddock
Choreographed by Mandy Hassett
Music Direction by Kayla Osika
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Friday, August 17, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Saturday, August 18, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
For an audition appointment, please fill out and submit Audition Form.
*For your convenience, the rehearsal schedule has been provided in calendar form Insert Commitment Calendar. Please review.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Sunday, August 19, 4:00 - 6:00PM
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience.
• 32 bars from two contrasting musical theatre songs (one upbeat, one ballad). Pick songs you love to sing, be yourself, and focus on storytelling. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Newsies the Musical.
• How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — or for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Commitment Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
• October 12 at 7:30PM
• October 13 at 7:30PM
• October 14 at 2:00PM
• October 19 at 7:30PM
• October 20 at 7:30PM
• October 21 at 2:00PM
• $321 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. Includes a costuming fee. 10% discount for siblings. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance available.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
Set in turn-of-the century New York City, Newsies is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a band of teenaged "newsies." When titans of publishing raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack rallies newsies from across the city to strike against the unfair conditions and fight for what's right! Based on the 1992 motion picture and inspired by a true story, Newsies features a Tony Awardwinning score by Alan Menken (Little Shop of Horrors, Sister Act) and Jack Feldman and a book by Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein (Kinky Boots). Featuring the now classic songs “Carrying the Banner,” “Seize the Day,” and “Santa Fe,” Newsies is packed with non-stop thrills and a timeless message, perfect for the whole family and every audience.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street Third Floor,
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email
Hope to see you at the audition!