ONCE ON THIS ISLAND AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Matt Mayne
Choreographed by Laura Marron
Music Direction by Jim Schmitt
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Saturday, August 19, 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Sunday, August 20, 3:00 - 5:00 PM
For an audition appointment, please fill out and submit Audition Form.
*For your convenience, the rehearsal schedule has been provided in calendar form Conflict Calendar. Please review.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Monday, August 21, 6:00 - 8:00PM
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience.
• 32 bars from two contrasting musical theatre songs (one upbeat, one ballad) that showcase your vocal range and demonstrate your ability to show character through song. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Once on This Island.
• How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Conflict Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
• October 13 at 7:30PM
• October 14 at 7:30PM
• October 15 at 2:00PM
• October 20 at 7:30PM
• October 21 at 7:30PM
• October 22 at 2:00PM
• $321 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. No ad fee required. Includes a costuming fee. 10% discount for siblings. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance is available.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
From the Tony Award-winning songwriting team of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Seussical, Ragtime), comes the Olivier Award-winning Once on This Island. This highly original and theatrical Caribbean adaptation of the popular fairy tale, The Little Mermaid, garnered eight Tony nominations for its Broadway run, including Best Musical, Book and Score.
Ti Moune, a peasant girl, rescues a wealthy boy from the other side of the island, Daniel, with whom she falls in love. Unbeknownst to Ti Moune, the pompous gods who preside over the island make a bet with one another over which is stronger, love or death, the stakes being Ti Moune's life. When she pursues Daniel, who has returned to his people, Ti Moune is shunned because of her lowly status. Her determination and capacity to love, though, is not enough to win Daniel's heart, and Ti Moune pays the ultimate price; but the gods turn Ti Moune into a tree that grows so strong and so tall, it breaks the wall that separates the societies and ultimately unites them.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
STAGES 875 E. Main Street
Third Floor, Auditorium Center
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email
Hope to see you at the audition!