TARZAN THE MUSICAL AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
For Students in Grades 6 - 9
Directed by Terry Fyke
Music Direction by Jim Schmitt
Choreographed by Jessica Padilla
AUDITIONS (by appointment only):
Monday, November 18, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Tuesday, November 19, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
For an audition appointment, please fill out and submit Audition Registration Form. You will be contacted by email/phone with your appointment date and time.
*For your convenience, the rehearsal schedule has been provided in calendar form Commitment Calendar. Please review.
CALLBACKS (if called):
Wednesday, November 20, 6:00 - 8:00PM
Calling Singers, Dancers, Actors in Grades 6 – 9 -- serious performers willing to work as part of a team to share their talents, refine their skills, and create a high quality show. Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend. Please consider your commitment to the show prior to your audition, as we obviously can’t promise lead roles to everyone. Every role, ensemble included, will be exciting and fun, as well as a valuable experience.
• 32 bars from two contrasting musical theatre songs (one upbeat, one ballad). Pick songs you love to sing, be yourself, and focus on storytelling. Be prepared to sing entire song if asked. Please do not prepare a song from Tarzan the Musical.
• How to prepare your accompaniment music for auditions: If copied, hole-punch the music and put in a binder. The music should be on the front and back of each page. If only printed on one side, tape the pages together so they are back-to-back or put them back to back in a non-glare sleeve. If music is bound, it should lay flat when open.
• You will be asked to read a scene — no preparation needed.
• A headshot or school picture, which will not be returned
• A resume, if available
• Shoes and appropriate clothes to dance in (no flip flops, crocs, etc.) — you will be taught a short dance combination to be performed in a group.
• Sheet music (not CD’s) in a binder for your audition song in the the key in which you will sing (sheet music is available in local music stores and online — www.sheetmusicplus.com or www.musicnotes.com for example). An Accompanist will be provided (“a cappella” audition songs will not be accepted).
• If you have questions about what to prepare or what to expect at the audition, don’t hesitate to email or call us.
Dates vary — see Commitment Calendar (you may not be called for all rehearsals and may only be called for a portion of a rehearsal).
2/7/20 @ 7:30pm
2/8/20 @ 2:00pm
2/8/20 @ 7:30pm
2/9/20 @ 2:00pm
• $321 Commitment Fee for musical theatre training to develop your talent in singing, movement, and character development in a supportive, nurturing environment culminating in full performances. Includes a costuming fee. A limited amount of partial tuition assistance available.
• Attend all rehearsals to which you are called.
• Families are asked to contribute volunteer hours in a variety of production areas to help make the show a success.
Washed up on the shores of West Africa, an infant boy is taken in and raised by gorillas who name him Tarzan. Apart from striving for acceptance from his ape father, Tarzan's life is mostly monkey business until a human expedition treks into his tribe's territory, and he encounters creatures like himself for the first time. Tarzan struggles to navigate a jungle, thick with emotion, as he discovers his animal upbringing clashing with his human instincts.
Auditions, rehearsals and performances are held at:
875 E. Main Street
Auditorium Center, Third Floor
Rochester, NY 14605
Parking located behind the building (enter from College Ave). Tell the attendant you are attending a Stages’ audition.
585-935-7173 (leave a message and your call will be returned) or email Carolyn@MJTStages.com
Hope to see you at the audition!